A few days ago I gave a presentation titled The Only Thing That Matters. Below you can find the list of materials one could use to ramp up his knowledge about topics covered in the presentation. Beware! Spoilers ahead!
- http://rusanu.com/blog/ – the first and the best source that you can find when reading about SQL Server underlying storage capabilities is this blog, especially http://rusanu.com/2012/01/17/what-is-an-lsn-log-sequence-number/
- https://github.com/EventStore/EventStore – the most important part is the codebase located on GitHub
- https://github.com/EventStore/EventStore/wiki/Architectural-Overview – you should take a look at the architecture overview as well. The wiki on GitHub is not maintained but still, it’s valid.
- https://blog.scooletz.com/2014/06/11/pearls-eventstore-transaction-log/ – the last but not least is my entry where I describe the design behind efficient flushing of the log
- https://aphyr.com/posts/293-call-me-maybe-kafka – Kafka Jepsen test
- https://kafka.apache.org/documentation/#design – the design behind this broker
I hope this links help you in pursuing the understanding of logging and append only structures. Let’s flush some data on disk!